You should use this report if you:
- are an approved self-managed super fund (SMSF) auditor
- have been appointed by a trustee of an SMSF to give a report on the operation of that fund for an income year.
An approved SMSF auditor is an auditor who is registered with the Australian Securities & Investments Commission (ASIC). ASIC issues each approved SMSF auditor with an SMSF auditor number (SAN). You must include your SAN when completing this report.
- A downloadable version of this report is available Self-managed superannuation fund independent auditor’s report (NAT 11466, DOCX)
The report available at the link above is effective for reporting periods starting on or after 1 July 2016. You may use this report for audits completed for earlier periods. However, you must take care to comply with the auditing standards and legislation that applied to that earlier period.
This report will only be reissued when changes are made.
SMSF auditors must comply with prescribed independence requirements as set out in the Accounting Professional and Ethical Standards Board’s pronouncement, APES 110 Code of Ethics for Professional Accountants.
Some threats to independence can only be eliminated or reduced to an acceptable level by declining or removing yourself from the audit engagement – this includes an engagement to audit the fund where you:
- are a trustee or director of a corporate trustee or a member of the fund
- are a relative or close associate of a trustee or director of a corporate trustee or a member of the fund
- have prepared the accounts and the statements for the fund being audited (if you are a sole practitioner, this includes instances where an employee has prepared the accounts and statements)
- provide advice (such as financial or investment) to the fund being audited.
The audit report now includes a specific commitment that the auditor has complied with auditor independence requirements prescribed by the Superannuation Industry (Supervision) Regulations 1994 (SISR).
- Self-managed super funds November 15, 2018
- Request for self-managed superannuation fund specific advice August 6, 2018
- Self-managed super fund (SMSF) August 6, 2018
- Limited recourse borrowing arrangements – questions and answers August 6, 2018
- Self-managed superannuation fund independent auditor’s report 30 June 2017 July 13, 2017